1. Q: What is GTalk2VoIP ?
- A: GTalk2VoIP is a free and publicly open voice gateway for major Instant Messenger clients. It makes possible voice interoperability between Google Talk, MSN/Live Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger and SIP phones without any additional software installation. Originally, the gateway was developed with Google Talk support only (and made calls to PSTN), from which it derived its name.
2. Q: Ok, how can I call Google Talk, MSN or Yahoo users from SIP ?
3. Q: How can I pay for services ?
3a. Q: What payment system do you accept ? Can I use PayPal or Google Checkout ?
- A: Yes, we accept PayPal. Google Checkout will be added soon.
3b. Q: Do my credits expire ?
- A: No, credits do not expire.
4. Q: What are those ranking effecting factors ?
- A: There are plenty of them, but most valuable are: users’ votes, Answer Seizure Ration and cost. The lower cost for a given destination and the higher ASR, the more probability is given to route your call through a certain service provider. ASR is a percentage of well placed calls to total calls routed through a service provider, which is calculated using pinalty-based algorithm.
5. Q: Why should voip service providers be interested to participate in your traffic exchange ?
- A: There are so many GoogleTalk users wishing to call their friends in different countries. Due to some misfortune reasons calls to some well known countries like China, Russia or Iraq are too expensive to perform using ordinary telephony service. So people nowadays prefer to use Internet for communicating instead, thus originating loads of VoIP traffic which must be routed.
6. Q: Ok, I’m a GoogleTalk/Live or Yahoo Messenger user, how can I register to your service ?
- A: There is no registration process. What you have to do is to submit your user id (gmail account name) to GTalk2VoIP voice gateway in one of the following ways: by inviting user [email protected] to your friend list, or by submitting your user id from main page of this site.
7. Q: How do I know cost/rate for my outgoing call to a certain destinations before calling?
- A: The cost may vary depending on the service provider your call is routed to. There are two ways to figure out communication rates (costs) provided for a certain destination:
- 2. On your personal account page you can choose View communication rates, then enter a desired phone number or destination you would like to call to. After that, a similar table will be displayed.
8. Q: How do I know where (through which service provider) my outgoing call is routed to ?
- A: After you initiate a call by issuing a CALL phone and accept an incoming voice call from [email protected], the following message will be displayed in chat window:
Ruslan: call 1-650-253-0000
service: Welcome to GTalk to Telephone Gateway.
Type 'HELP' for more information
You entered: call 1-650-253-0000
Incoming call from [email protected]
service: You have 99.9138 USD.
Please, accept call from gtalk2voip !!!
Thank you! Calling phone: 16502530000 via PROXICOM . Cost = 0.03
Call in progress...
This means that your call was routed through PROXICOM who charges you 0.03 USD for each minute of talk.
9. Q: How is a service provider chosen for my outgoing calls ?
- A: By default, if you have not yet voted for your best service provider(s), the system chooses the best one for you according to other users’ votes, ASR and cost for a given destination. In this case, the cost is of major importance.
- On the contrary, when you do your voting, all your calls will be routed only to those service providers you have voted for (marked) as good (thumbs up). In this case, the cheapest of those selected is chosen.
- The voting is available from your personal account page.
10. Q: How do I access my personal account page ? Can’t find link to it from your site.
- A: To get a link to your personal account page you have to type in MYPAGE command in chat window to user [email protected] When you have done that, a link with a random cookie will be displayed to you. Click on the link to get into your account page. Please note, that this cookie is temporal and may expire after several days. In this case you have to repeat the procedure.
11. Q: I cannot hear any voice, when I’m trying I always get disconnected, reason = EndedByNoAccept.
- A: This means that you are located behind a proxy or a very paranoid NAT/Firewall setup. Your Google Talk application cannot start media stream flowing. Either moderate your Firewall settings or ask your system administrator to setup a proper NAT service.
12. Q: What codecs does your gateway support ?
- A: At present, out GTalk2VoIP gateway can talk to Google Talk and (other Jingle complient clients) using following codecs: G.711 muLaw, iLBC and Speex. The default codec is iLBC, but you can change this preference any time. Read more. A: Calls to MSN/Live Messenger and Yahoo! Messenger are made using G.711 codec only.
13. Q: How do I set up a conference between different IMs ?
- A: Setting up conferenfing calls between different types of IM users is same as setting conf for same IM. One person uses CONF command to create a conferencing room and becomes room master, then sends invites (using INVITE command) to others, or gives out conf room cookie and others enter the room using JOIN command of service bot. Please read more details about conferecing.